Posted by Jenny Rae Armstrong in
Domestic Misadventures of a Distracted Miss
Okay, for those of you who don't know this, I have a long-standing distaste for anything turkey. (Anything that used to be a sentient life-form, actually, but turkey is the worst of the bunch. If you're going to suffer existential guilt over eating meat, it might as well taste good, right?) Thanksgiving was always an ordeal-I didn't dare politely decline the poultry, ("You tryin' to stay skinny, Jen?" "You a vegetarian or something?" "Oh, sweetie, you don't have any turkey yet-let me get you some!") so I wound up burying it under cranberry sauce and stuffing, and leaving most of it on my plate.When I got old enough to make my own Thanksgiving feasts, I decided to forgo the turkey altogether and go with Cornish hens. But as our family grew it became clear that the pygmies wouldn't cut the cranberry sauce. Hence, my epic struggle to create the perfect turkey. Resulting in:
How to Make a Turkey Even Turkey-Haters Love
Voila! (Cue Hallelujah Chorus!) The perfect turkey. My holiday guests say it's incredible. I say it's edible. I know Thanksgiving is over, but Christmas is just around the corner. (Like you need the reminder, right?) Check it out, and rate it up. Seriously. It's that good.



3 Response to Little Miss Know-It-All Talks Turkey
Cool, you did it! I'm a turkey-hater myself. Never take it at holidays anymore. (In fact, I sometimes tell people I became vegetarian so I could politely decline poultry evermore -- and that's not too far from the truth.)
Here is the best Cranberry Relish recipe I've come across.
CRANBERRY RELISH
2 bags whole fresh cranberries (but put in freezer then thaw before using)
1 apple with peel, chopped
1 orange, chopped
2-3 stalks celery (chopped fine)
1 cup chopped pecans (can chop with a mini-chopper)
2 cups sugar (raw sugar works very well)
Start early in the morning. Blend cranberries using food processor (if it has trouble this way, you could try juicing them and then adding the pulp back in). Place cranberry mixture in serving dish. Add apple, orange, celery and pecans. Add sugar last and stir. Keep in the refrigerator and stir occasionally all day. Make sure completely thawed before serving. Recommended: Make a double batch & freeze one batch. Tastes great even after being frozen.
Ooh, yummy, Susie! Celery would never have occured to me, but I bet it gives it a great crunch! I'm going to have to try that...
Post a Comment