Posted by Jenny Rae Armstrong in
Mystical Meanderings of a Love-Struck Soul
Binding girls' feet was a common practice in China for over a thousand years. Bound feet were considered intensely attractive, and well-to-do men would not marry a woman who's feet had not been bound.
Much fuss was made over a woman's "little lotus feet", "little lotus shoes", and the tiny, unsteady steps referred to as her "little lotus gait". A woman with bound feet was able to perform domestic duties, but it was impossible for her to venture into the world beyond her household without assistance. She was utterly, irrevocably dependant on her family for everything.

Conscientious mothers began binding their daughter's feet when she was between the ages of four and six, in the winter, so her feet would be numb and the pain less severe. The child's feet were soaked in a mixture of warm water and herbs, then massaged in preparation for what was coming next. The four smallest toes were broken and tucked under, then wrapped tightly in pretty silk bandages that pulled the front of the foot back toward the heel. Sometimes, the toes would develop gangrene and fall off, and this was considered a blessing.

In the early twentieth century, when western missionaries joined forces with the Chinese government to abolish the practice, they were met with stiff resistance. Women did not want to remove the bindings from their feet. They had grown accustomed to this painful, limiting, way of life. The bindings were about more than beauty, they were about a woman's position in Chinese society. And the women, faced with an unbound future, were uncertain and scared.

But under threat of the government, the bindings did come off. It was a physically and emotionally painful process for the women who had been bound, and it was a long time before a woman's whole, healthy feet were met with admiration instead of disgust. Until a girl growing into her full potential was considered a grace, not a disgrace.
I am still not sure that has happened.
When we wrap up our feminine souls to keep them in their proper place, to fit them into the accepted, pre-defined dimensions laid out for us, we are binding the feet of Christ. The God who created our feet is the God who created our souls. Take off the bindings and grow into the fullness of everything God created you to be, and don't let fear and uncertainty stop you. Yes, there will be many wonderfully well-intentioned people who disapprove. But your soul was created for God, not your family, not your husband, not even yourself. Don't cripple it.
How lovely on the mountain are the feet of those who bring Good News!



4 Response to Little Lotus Soul
*gulp* I didn't know they broke the toes. My daughter is 6 years old. I can't imagine intentionally breaking her toes. I'm so glad they abolished this.
I know!!! Now we just have to abolish soul-binding...
Great post. Although I didn't know it, I'm not surprised that women were hesitant to abolish the practice that harmed them so; I'm reading a book that's infuriating in places right now that uses "evidence" like this to "prove" that women are complicit in their oppression, which sucks the compassion out of the whole equation; being afraid of the possibilities that exist in the world is not the same as liking oppression. Thanks for this great analogy; it's something I'll be working hard to remember in those times when my own soul feels bound a little too tightly.
LOL, I was just taken to task in a blog I commented on for saying, and I quote, "Men opress women because women ALLOW themselves to be opressed." Not individual women, of course-I was bemoaning the fact that women as a group are so quick to accept the status quo, (ie.binding feet)instead of fighting for what's right. I mean, we make up more than half the world's population. We have a little pull, right?
Mostly, it just drives me nuts that so many American women take their rights for granted, ALLOW themselved to be oppressed/supressed when they don't need to be. We should be defending our freedoms so we can help our sisters gain theirs! I posted the trailer from "Pray the Devil Back to Hell"-those women were out risking EVERYTHING, and we get angsty over uncomfortable, but perfectly safe, situations?
I think I get what you're saying about the book-like, the women allow themselves to be opressed because they don't really mind??? (Like, she was ASKING to be raped?:-Z) I say sure, we've allowed ourselves to be opressed,and that means we, as a GROUP, have the power to stop the insanity! Our great-grandmothers did it for us in this country-maybe we'll live to see it happen in Africa and Asia, pray God! Down with the victim mentality, and up with women!!!:-D Go, fight, win!!!
Post a Comment